Monday 21 January 2013

Reality Starts - Living in Dhaka

Well the day has finally arrived and Madam and I will be moving into the new pad.  I say 'new' loosely as it has been deconstructed, remodelled and rewired.  As well as being a TS (Trailing Spouse), I am now an interior designer, lurve choosing soft furnishings, expert packer of all things (this being the third time we have moved in less than 3 months) and generally the point of contact for all things 'homemaking'.  One concern I do have is that it is actually curtailing the golf activity and going for a swim (honestly - not missing that one - that's exercise), but hopefully normal service shall resume shortly - cannae wait.

Now Madam was running true to form - nothing like consistency and continuity for the TS.  Madam was going away on a business trip - convenient!  I did raise a smile when the drive to the business trip was allegedly curtailed by a small riot and some tear gas - excuses!  Nothing in the press...  Anyhow it was up to yours truly to pack our life - 4 suitcases and a tonne of food.  The move was as painless as can be.  The problem was going to be the following day - the arrival of the heavy baggage.

Day 2 of the move saw 71 boxes of various shapes and sizes magically congregate in the lounge like a pyramid for some god.  Where does one start?  The labels on the box didn't actually match the contents.  The packers offered to unpack which I quickly declined.  I mean I hadn't a clue where I was putting the stuff, so why should I have 6 people asking me in a foreign language where it was going.  On top of that, there were a range of boxes containing crockery etc which follows the Head of Office.  Madam has another thing coming if she thinks I am cooking for 50 people!

What was quickly realised on opening the boxes, was the lack of personal ornaments / object d'art / curios.  Yep the packing was too practical in Glasgow and all that kind of stuff has been left there - typical.  Never mind Madam has now got it into her head that 'we' can go out and buy more stuff - mmmmmm.

So of course when Madam arrived back home, it was mostly all done - what a surprise!  People kept saying it must be like Christmas again, finding stuff you had forgotten you had packed and there it was etc etc.  I look at as a huge sigh of relief - life in Dhaka can actually start now and let reality set in!

PS Just realised a big problem - left the corkscrew in the UK.  It is a double big problem as we are living in a dry country - don't tell Madam until I come up with a plan.